I have always had a love affair with the Academy Awards but at the end of 2010 I realized how few of the Best Picture winners I’d actually seen. So I made it a goal to see all [then] 83 winners and write my thoughts about them along the way. (I even re-watched the ones I'd already seen so I could write a fresh post.)

That was the initial inspiration behind this blog... I wanted to document my thoughts as well as start a potential conversation or at least ask some thought-provoking questions. Why did it win? Should another movie have won instead? Has it become a beloved classic or do many of you not even recognize the title? For each film, I post the original movie poster, a brief synopsis, the films it was up against, my favorite scene(s), and any lessons I learned.

I have since completed the challenge and have seen all of the Academy's Best Picture winners. (For my collective thoughts at the end of the challenge, including lists of my favorites and least favorites, check out this post.) I keep this blog up-to-date by coming back each year to post my thoughts on the recent winner. I still invite you, my friends and guests, to comment along with me. Do you agree/disagree?

And the Oscar goes to…

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Green Book, 2018










Rated PG-13



Green Book was the award-winning biopic that snagged the top honor this year, and I finally had the chance to sit down and watch last month. I can always appreciate a film that teaches me something about history, and in this film, I learned that the title refers to The Negro Motorist Green Book that circulated for those traveling in the south from 1936-1966. This thick pamphlet, a “safe traveling companion” of sorts, indicated where people of color could dine and stay the night, navigating its owner through the volatile areas of the segregated south. 


The movie is inspired by the true story of Dr. Don Shirley, a classically trained and talented pianist who, in 1962, has been scheduled to tour the southern states for several months giving highly-anticipated performances for wealthy and well-known people along the way. Here’s what makes for an interesting story though… Dr. Shirley is an African-American man and he doesn’t like to drive. He not only needs to hire a driver but needs to hire someone who can “take care of business” if something comes up. Since he’s a learned, wealthy black man about to travel deep into Jim Crow territory, unpredictable situations might arise. Enter Tony ‘Lip’ Vallelonga, played brilliantly by Viggo Mortensen, who knows how to throw a good punch, doesn’t take backtalk, and will eat 26 hot dogs just to win a $50 bet. At first Tony doesn’t think he’s the right man for the job, but because he needs the money to support his family, he signs on to be at Dr. Shirley’s beck and call for several months, as long as he’s back by Christmas. Tony’s given the Green Book as his guide and the road trip commences. And the audience is treated to a reverse “Driving Miss Daisy” in a way – plenty of sarcasm, cantankerous comments, and odd looks in the rearview mirror will have you laughing out loud.

This odd couple couldn’t be more different… Dr. Shirley lives like a king above Carnegie Hall and comes across as elitist and snobbish. Tony is a practical working-class Italian-American from the Bronx who says what he means and is lacking in etiquette. BUT, given those differences, these men learn to not only work well together, but actually get along (eventually). Along the way, we get to see a more compassionate side of Tony and a vulnerable side of Dr. Shirley. It’s understandable how this real-life duo developed a life-long friendship.

It wasn’t all funny and feel-good though- there are scenes that had me shaking my head in shame at our country’s ignorance and inexcusable hatred. But at times, I was proud of both men and how they handled certain situations, albeit differently.

In the end, it was clear that these men were changed for the better because of the time they spent together. Lessons were learned, opinions were altered, and lives were thus impacted forever.

“Green Book” was up against “BlacKkKlansman”, “Black Panther”, “Roma”, “A Star is Born”, “Vice”, “The Favourite”, and “Bohemian Rhapsody”. (Is it fair that “Roma” is in Best Picture category and the Best Foreign Language Film category…?) I would’ve liked to see “Mary Poppins Returns” get a nom, simply because I am a Disneyphile and I thought it was a brilliant sequel. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any of the other nominees so I can’t rightly compare, but I will say that almost all of them were the forerunner at some point. After “A Star is Born” came out, that’s all anyone talked about and it was a shoo-in to win. Then “Bohemian Rhapsody” won the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture, Drama [and “Green Book” won for Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy…. does that confuse anyone else?!?!], so people thought “Bohemian Rhapsody would snag the Oscar. But then, like days before the Awards ceremony, all people could talk about was “Roma”. So really, I had no idea who would win and figured they were all probably pretty good.

 “Green Book” had five nominations and three wins including Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actor which went to Mahershala Ali (for Dr. Shirley). This was almost a back-to-back win in the same category for him since he won for “Moonlight” in 2016. Interestingly, this was only the fifth time in Oscar history that the winning film’s director wasn’t even nominated.


FAVORITE SCENES:

It is abundantly clear that Tony is not one with romantic words, and Dr. Shirley is made painfully aware of this during a pit stop when watching Tony attempt to write a letter home to his wife. Dr. Shirley ends up giving him some writing advice (that have the lady relatives back home swooning) but keeps it real enough for Tony. It’s a humorous scene as Dr. Shirley even works in a spelling lesson. 


Tony gets Dr. Shirley to let loose in a club unlike any he’s played in before and it was a joy to see him smile so naturally like that.



LESSONS LEARNED:

1.       Another favorite scene of mine was when the two men were arguing about how the other didn’t know who the other really was (their background). Tony accused Dr. Shirley of complaining while living in a castle and Dr. Shirley shot back with,

Yes, I live in a castle, Tony! Alone. And rich white people pay me to play piano for them because it makes them feel cultured. But as soon as I step off that stage, I go right back to being just another nigger to them. Because that is their true culture. And I suffer that slight alone, because I'm not accepted by my own people 'cause I'm not like them, either. So, if I'm not black enough and if I'm not white enough and if I'm not man enough, then tell me, Tony, what am I?

I thought this was a profound statement. Whether we mean to or not, we expect people to fit into a nice little box. It’s easier for us if people behave the way we expect them to behave, but this is too simplistic. We are all complicated and unique. Imperfect people make gross exaggerations on racial, social, and economic profiles too. Obviously, it’s wrong and massively unfair for all involved. It’s sickening that Dr. Shirley didn’t feel at home with “his people” because of his education and talent and also didn’t feel accepted elsewhere because of his skin color.

I wish I had a profound answer or solution to this. Instead, I just keep ruminating on it and wishing there was a way we could accept each culture for what it offers and each person for the child of God that s/he is. If God sees us all as the human race, then why can’t we?


2.       A long road trip is a great way to get to know somebody (or get on somebody’s nerves). 



No comments:

Post a Comment