I have always had a love affair with the Academy Awards but at the end of 2010 I realized how few of the Best Picture winners I’d actually seen. So I made it a goal to see all [then] 83 winners and write my thoughts about them along the way. (I even re-watched the ones I'd already seen so I could write a fresh post.)

That was the initial inspiration behind this blog... I wanted to document my thoughts as well as start a potential conversation or at least ask some thought-provoking questions. Why did it win? Should another movie have won instead? Has it become a beloved classic or do many of you not even recognize the title? For each film, I post the original movie poster, a brief synopsis, the films it was up against, my favorite scene(s), and any lessons I learned.

I have since completed the challenge and have seen all of the Academy's Best Picture winners. (For my collective thoughts at the end of the challenge, including lists of my favorites and least favorites, check out this post.) I keep this blog up-to-date by coming back each year to post my thoughts on the recent winner. I still invite you, my friends and guests, to comment along with me. Do you agree/disagree?

And the Oscar goes to…

Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Apartment, 1960










Not Rated

This film follows C.C. Baxter, played by Jack Lemmon, who attempts to climb the corporate ladder a little faster by renting out his apartment to his superiors for their extra-marital affairs. And boom! - sexual innuendos and references are no longer watered down in the movies, they’re right out there as the main plot. This movie is considered a comedy/tragi-drama – an interesting genre in my opinion. But I guess it does seem to capture it all.

Baxter is quite a push-over and will even wait outside in the snow or rain waiting for his co-workers’ late dates to wrap up. He ends up falling for the office elevator operator (they had those?) played by Shirley MacLaine. Little does he know though that she is fling #whatever of his boss’s. Fran (MacLaine) is devastated when she discovers she’s just another one of his flames and attempts suicide when left alone in Baxter’s apartment. The film has a pretty light tone overall which kind of eases the tension when things get dark. All ends well though for those worried about a happy ending.

This movie was considered quite risqué for its time. Nothing obviously is shown (in that regard), but the mere talk of it (which is the main premise of the movie) made it daring. This now may not come as a shock to you to find out that this is the same director that brought us “The Lost Weekend” (the first movie to really deal with alcoholism).

“The Apartment” was up against “The Alamo”, “Elmer Gantry”, “Sons and Lovers”, and “The Sundowners”- NONE of which I’ve even heard of… although I hadn’t even heard of the winner either. It won half of its nominations including Best Director, Best Writing, Best Art Direction, and Best Film Editing. I’m not sure about those last three wins… Although, I’m a little surprised it won Best Picture to begin with. Yes, it may have pushed some boundaries (which the Academy historically seems to favor), but overall, the movie was kind of no big deal. It’s not one I would necessarily recommend or rave about. It’s like any other “comedy/tragi-drama” that comes into theatres nowadays. I would have guessed that John Wayne’s big-budget film about the battle for independence at the Alamo would’ve snagged the award. ANNNNDD… guess what other movie was made this year but not even up for nomination? “Psycho”! – I haven’t seen it but I’m pretty sure it’s a popular movie.

SCENE:

In one particularly comical scene, a sick Baxter (from standing out in the cold the night before) is called into his fast-talking superior’s office and questioned about a key that’s floating around the office. Thinking he’s busted for spreading immorality around his work environment, he gets quite anxious and accidentally squirts nasal spray all over the office. Turns out, boss man (Fred McMurray, who is cast against type) just wants in on the action.


And how about when Baxter makes dinner for Fran and strains the spaghetti with his tennis racket…?


LESSONS LEARNED:

Stand up for yourself. Don’t let people walk all over you, even if you think you’ll benefit from it later.

And definitely don’t be the keeper of people’s dirty little secrets.

1 comment:

  1. Mom was just talking to me about Psycho's role in her American teenage pop culture.

    ReplyDelete