I have always had a love affair with the Academy Awards but at the end of 2010 I realized how few of the Best Picture winners I’d actually seen. So I made it a goal to see all [then] 83 winners and write my thoughts about them along the way. (I even re-watched the ones I'd already seen so I could write a fresh post.)

That was the initial inspiration behind this blog... I wanted to document my thoughts as well as start a potential conversation or at least ask some thought-provoking questions. Why did it win? Should another movie have won instead? Has it become a beloved classic or do many of you not even recognize the title? For each film, I post the original movie poster, a brief synopsis, the films it was up against, my favorite scene(s), and any lessons I learned.

I have since completed the challenge and have seen all of the Academy's Best Picture winners. (For my collective thoughts at the end of the challenge, including lists of my favorites and least favorites, check out this post.) I keep this blog up-to-date by coming back each year to post my thoughts on the recent winner. I still invite you, my friends and guests, to comment along with me. Do you agree/disagree?

And the Oscar goes to…

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lawrence of Arabia, 1962









Rated G

ZZzzzz…… The end.

Well, I guess I owe it to my readers (and by readers, I mean my mom and sister) to write a little more about the movie. It is the epic (and by epic, I mean 216 minutes long) autobiographical retelling of British Army officer T. E. Lawrence’s adventures in Arabia as he helps unite the tribes against the oppressive Turks during World War I. The Arabs embrace him because of his knowledge of politics and somewhat rebellious behavior. He becomes their hero, but in the end, he feels he failed his mission.

Obviously epic classics like this are long and I think the Academy actually likes them. But this movie didn’t need to be this long. I honestly don’t mind long movies, but when the plot isn’t moving along at a decent pace, or at least enough to keep my attention, then it needs to be edited down.

It is a “man’s film” in a few regards but more literally in that it is the only Best Picture winner that has credited roles for only men! The reviews I’ve read since watching it mentioned Lawrence’s repressed homoerotic tendencies and feelings for his Arab “blood brother” Sherif Ali (played by Omar Sharif from one of my faves “Funny Girl”). This apparently was lost on me… I did not pick up on his confused sexuality. I did think he had some pretty witty lines at times.

I read that the film’s movement was from left to right in order to convey a sense of forward movement on Lawrence’s journey. Unfortunately, this might have been a wasted effort since I didn’t notice it. I did notice the camels in the film though and wrote down a note to ask my hubby for a pet camel for my next birthday. And I will add that there were several shots of the desert that were breathtaking.

“Lawrence of Arabia” was up against “The Longest Day”, “The Music Man”, “Mutiny on the Bounty” (a remake of the original from 1935), and “To Kill a Mockingbird”. Peter O’Toole, who played Lawrence in this film, lost the Best Actor award to Gregory Peck from “To Kill a Mockingbird”. In my opinion, the whole movie should have lost the award to that film. Now, THAT was a classic. Book and movie both.

Alright, thanks Mom and Alli for reading this; I won’t waste any more of your time. I know how it feels since I recently lost almost four hours of my life.

Here’s a look at the real T.E. Lawrence and the Irish-born blue-eyed “hottie of the time” Peter O’Toole and Omar Sharif from the film:


LESSONS LEARNED:

Drink caffeine before watching epics.

Pay better attention in history class so when watching historical films, things may sound familiar or click into place.

3 comments:

  1. #1 I'm catching up on your blog...yay me
    #2. I was made to watch this at Whittier for a music in film class....this is one of the only ones the music didn't make better!
    #3. So boring! Even though I can't remember any of it, I can't make myself watch it again for my Oscar project lol

    Props to you for watching the whole thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! Haven't watched this one, but a word to the wise.....camels spit! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. the moving left to right sounds cool.

    do you take notes while you watch these movies?

    ReplyDelete